Tuesday, August 28, 2007

UNT JOUR 4250: Race, gender and media: A methods approach

Welcome to the class. This blog will help us stay in touch, and your own blog will help me understand your perspective as we move through the class. Your first job during the first week is to establish your own blog at blogger.com.

It's a fairly easy process, but be sure to write down several things as you set up your blog: your blog title (this blog is called "Race, gender ...."); and your blog's URL or web address (this blog's URL is lambiase4250.blogspot.com). Note that my blog does not have the word "blogger" in its URL, but "blogspot.com." Also, the URL does not contain "www." Neither will your blog.

Be sure to record these things, plus your password, too.

Once you've set up your blog, please write a first-week entry about your news habits. How do you get news? How often? What do you read and view both online and offline? About how many hours a day or a week do you intentionally seek out news coverage? And one last question: when you think about news media and their coverage of race or gender or sexualities or disabilities, what are your own assumptions?

I hope you've had a good first week on campus, and I look forward to getting to know you in class. Have a nice weekend.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I just have one quick question. I have a blogger.com account from a while back, is it okay if I use that one? I have a couple of posts on it, so the one from this week won't be my very first posting. Thank you!

jacqueline said...

Yes, Kelly, this is OK. That will make it easier for you. See you tomorrow.

J

Nathaniel said...

My Assumptions About the News Media

I like listening to the News especially from the CNN News station. I listen to the CNN News at least three times a day. The problem that hinders me from listening to the CNN News every day is the fact that I’ve so many academic assignments that I have to complete in time. Had it not have been for my academic assignments, I would love to listen to the CNN News every day and night at least twice a day, 14 times a weak.

However, I like reading about the international affairs such as: The Iraqi War, Conflicts in the Middle –East, Politics in Africa through the BBC and other African newspapers such as: the Post Newspaper from Zambia and the Independent Newspaper from Zimbabwe, Africa.

When it comes to “News Media” and their coverage of race or gender or sexualities or disabilities, I often assume that most of the media firms especially in the United States prefer to cover white people and their businesses, white celebrities and white politicians because of the flame of racism rooted among many white media owners. The news media disappoints me in the sense that they do not cover the poor society yet they (the media firms) are supposed to speak out on behalf of the poor, oppressed, voiceless, defenseless communities and individuals who need help from the community or from the State or from the federal government.

The media should be covering every body equally regardless of race, gender or nationality. We are all equal, no race is more superior than the other